Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Football is a Girl Thing Too

Hey guys! In honor of it being fall and football season, I asked my bestie Anne Arden to guest post. She is the biggest football fan I know, and thought she would write an amazing post. She delivered! I also had to put the Georgia Stadium at the top because GO DAWGS!

Hope you like it:

If you are a girl and you love football just as much as I do, then you know the struggles girls such as ourselves face every single day. You’re never taken seriously, and even if you are, that respect did not come without doubt in the beginning from boys who think that they know everything. I’m Anne Arden and am currently a Freshman at the University of Florida and when Allison asked me to write a guest post for her blog, I knew immediately what I wanted to write about. I want to talk about the TOP 1O THINGS every female sports fan goes through, and how you KNOW if you’re a true female sports guru. #GIRLPOWER

1.) Most girls hate the ending of summer because it’s the end of going to the beach everyday and no school, but you’re secretly crazy excited for Fall because that means one thing…FOOTBALL IS BACK! Yes, tanning on the beach and having little responsibility is fun, but there’s no denying the truth that College Gamedays are the best days.

2.) Your friends laugh at you every time you get an ESPN alert on your phone (which is quite often). My friends are constantly annoyed when I get an important ESPN buzz and just HAVE to talk about it (or most likely rant) to someone right then and there. Either someone got hurt, or suspended, or fired, or a team lost and I am physically required to rant about said alert. Usually they have no idea what I’m talking about, but they let me rant and they listen anyways and that’s why I love them.

3.) You feel as if you have a personal connection with every player on your fantasy football team. Like when a player is listed as “Questionable” for a game, there is nothing you want to do more than to just call him up and ask how he’s feeling. Even further you just want to bring him something or do something to help him feel better. Those motherly instincts come out even when you least expect them, you did draft him after all.

4.) You go to as many football games as you can because watching it on TV just isn’t the same. I know when I’m at a game, I’m either screaming or praying. I’m ready in the stands whenever coach decides he needs me with loads of advice like, “How about you try throwing on first down?” or “Why don’t you try the Bubble Screen against this defense?”. I feel like I play a vital role in the outcome of a game while in the stands even if I’m just 1 of tens of thousands.

5.)Your best friends text you begging to send them snippets of sports knowledge so that they can impress a boy. I feel as if it’s my duty as their friend to give them more knowledge. It is actually embarrassing the number of times a friend has texted me something like, “Quick give me some facts about the Steelers” or “Please tell me some Broncos players” because they want  to impress a guy. Whether they like it or not, I know my friends know more about sports because of me than they would have otherwise, and I know that they’ll thank me for it later.

6.) You’re convinced your future husband is out there somewhere in the same stadium you are at every game you attend. I mean he has to love football, right? Both of my sets of grandparents met through UF Football and It’s a little terrifying to look around my campus and think, “Guess I have to meet my future husband here…”. TERRIFYING. Well it was a totally different world back then, but I’m still waiting for Tim Tebow to get back to me. One of my goals is to visit every SEC football stadium before I’m 21 (So far I’ve been to half, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Missouri, South Carolina, Texas A&M, and Alabama), he’s out there somewhere!

7.) There is no better shopping than Gameday shopping. It’s no secret that I have a major shopping addiction…major being an understatement. My friends know better than to try and stop me whenever I find something in my school’s colors. Planning out gameday outfits is somewhat stressful, but also way too much fun. I have a designated section in my closet specifically reserved for gamedays and I wouldn’t have it any other way. 

8.) You cry more over a bad loss than over a breakup. Yes, boys suck and they will break your heart, but true pain is evident in the tears that come after a horrible close game loss to your biggest rivals at your home stadium.

9.) Sunday is a day of rest…or in my case a day to relax on the couch watching NFL Redzone with my Dad with my laptop opened up to my fantasy football lineup, refreshing every 5 seconds (at least).

10.) You have a major girl crush on Erin Andrews. She has been my role model since..well…forever. From College Gameday to NFL Sunday and reporting on Professional Baseball she has taken the sports world by storm. She graduated from The University of Florida and is so smart and crazy gorgeous, it’s hard not to love her! She is an incredible journalist and I aspire so much to be like her (if getting paid to talk about sports while being given designer clothing to wear while doing it isn’t the dream then I don’t know what is).

I love football, but I also have a passion for basketball, baseball, and golf. I love the Gators, Jaguars, Celtics, Red Sox, and the Reds, and nothing can come between me and my love for my favorite golfers Bubba Watson, Phil Mickelson, and Adam Scott! I have no idea what the future holds for me. All I know right now is that whatever my future job is, if it has nothing to do with sports then it isn’t the job for me. I hope you find whatever it is you’re passionate about and pursue it, life shouldn’t be boring and you should spend your time doing something you love every single day! My favorite, Tim Tebow, said it best: “I don’t know what my future holds, but I do know who holds my future”.

P.S. Always remember to love God, Sweet Tea, and the SEC <3

 xoxo, Anne Arden 

Love, Love, Love this list and how true it is to her personality! I couldn't stop laughing!
Who is your favorite team? And if you aren't a sports fan…what is your passion?

No comments:

Post a Comment