Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Keep the Old

Hey guys! Hope your week got off to a good start. Personally I'm trying to get over the wet, crowded, bummer of a weekend that resulted in my cute black romper being covered by a rain jacket and of course a devastating loss to Bama (gasp!). Well life goes on, and apparently so does the rain. On the bright side the forecast looks great for the rest of the week so maybe y'all will get a little break from my constant complaining about the weather! It's a new week so let's make it great!

Today, I want to talk about friends! I love mine, and have definitely began some amazing relationships while I've been at school. Shoutout to everyone I have meet and especially my ballin' roommate Anna! She's great! Also shoutout to all of my sorority sisters who have made finding a place a little easier.

Although I love my new friends, and I'm excited to get to know everyone so much better, I never want to forget my old friends. These are the friends that you grew up with, the high school friends who stuck with you from the awkward braces stage to the drama stage and to the stage where you were making decisions about your life.

It's so hard going to college and leaving your friends and your comfort zone behind, but really what you need to realize (really I need to realize) is that those girls and guys are still your comfort zone and you never want to give that up. The memories will always be there and when you keep up and make effort with your old friends, those people will always be there too. The pictures I've posted are of my camp friends who came for the awful game this weekend and my high school friends from graduation!

So what did I do? Well I will start off saying that, I am not doing a very good job of keeping in touch. Lately I've been letting the "I'm busy" excuse get the best of me. You could say that this post is a post to keep me accountable. But one thing that I made sure of before I graduated was to write a list of the people that I want to continue our relationship with through college and beyond. I knew that it would take effort to keep the friendships going, so I wrote a list to help me remember who really means the most to me and who I should make the effort to keep up with. Again, I'm not really succeeding, but every once in a while I'll send a text or pick up the phone. Another thing to remember is that those people need to meet you halfway, so once you put the effort in, make sure they are also putting effort or the friendship won't really go anywhere.

My hope for you is that you figure out the old friends who mean the most to you, and you make the effort to continue your relationship. They were such a huge part of your life, and letting that go completely probably isn't the move. Give them a call, a text, a tweet, or even a poke on Facebook. Make the effort because a little goes a long way.
 

Who are you friends that you need to reconnect with or put in the effort to keep the relationship going? Will you make that move?

1 comment:

  1. love you <3 - don't worry, we don't forget you either!!

    ReplyDelete