Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Roomie Life

Hey everyone. Currently I'm sitting on a bench on the North Campus (seriously beautiful!) trying to dodge the falling acorns. I'm enjoying this sunny cool weather that makes sitting outside the only reasonable option. I just had to mention this beautiful fall weather where it is acceptable to wear a sweater, shorts, or even a sweater dress, tights, a vest and boots like the women that just passed me. I'm not ready to go all out in fall clothing, although I did bring my fall clothes to Athens, but I'm getting there.


Yesterday my roommate, Anna, mentioned that someone had shared this article describing October as Hate Your Roommate Month. I believe that it's possible…I mean you've lived together for about 3 months. At this point the "honeymoon and everything is perfect stage" is pretty much over. You've had those late night breakdowns, your side room has gotten way out of hand, and maybe you went a little crazy one night. Your roommate now knows everything…and I mean everything. You can't hide yourself with someone that you live with 24/7. They know your good sides, your bad sides, and lets face it the weird sides of you. I understand this from my many years of camp. I mean a cabin with 7 other girls is not easy, but I was able to find my closest friends through those experiences. Being a roommate is hard… no doubt about it.

Well, when Anna was telling me this, she looked at me and said that she thought we were doing pretty well. I would fully agree. We are the perfect pair. She's so chill and cool about literally everything. I'm a little more tightly strung but she chills me out for sure. Our room is messy sometimes but never gets out of hand. We take turns buying Kind Bars and Chex Mix. We created a wall to share our memories of freshman year. We share clothes. We have roomie dates to Mellow Mushroom and Taqueria Del Sol. So I think we are doing great!
























Here are my TIPS on how to be a great team with your roommate!


1. Spend time with your roommate. I mean seriously you can't get to know anyone and eventually be able to understand their flaws if you don't see them. In college there is so much going on and it is common to have totally different schedules with your roommate. There are some days where I won't see Anna from the time I leave the room until 10 a night, so carving out time to be together is so fun!

2. Be Understanding. Everyone is human. You have flaws too and I can guarantee that your roommate notices them. So just take the time to cool down and realize that being human means having flaws that may bug each other. Accept them and understand. Change your attitude to where that one thing doesn't get on your nerves but makes you love your roomie anymore.

3. Have Fun! Freshman year is a year that you will always remember, and It's only one year. I've heard that so many times, but now I am actually starting to believe it. Next year there is a large chance you won't be living with your freshman roommate. Anna and I are headed off to our separate sorority houses, so everything will change. Have fun with your roommate because they could potentially be life long friends. Nothing has to be too serious and just having some good old fashion fun can really make your roomie relationship good!!!

Well, I'm off to class and trying to enjoy more of the beautiful weather. Shoutout to Anna for stealing my clothes and taking the trash out! Love you! Also I hope you enjoy the selfie above just as much as I do. The guy in the background should feel honored he just made it on the blog! Happy fall!




Do you have any funny roommate story's? Have you stayed in touch with your freshman roomie?

No comments:

Post a Comment