Monday, August 31, 2015

Mums The Word

Don't hate me! AHHHH I've missed a couple of posts…but life is hard, and keeping up with blog posts is also hard. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise! Well I'll just have to make it up to you this week with amazing blog posts, right! Well amazing blog post or not, I want to talk about things people don't talk about. Ironic, I know! So it's officially been two weeks since school started and three weeks since move in day. Man does time fly when your on your own.

Let me tell you though college is not easy. I'm not talking about just the school aspect, but in general its hard. It's not like anything I've done before. People always say "college is the best four years of your life" and "you'll make the best friends who will one day be your bridesmaids". I believe this, but I guess I believed it a little too soon. There is so much hype about college and once you get here its nothing like what you've been told. The first week is so hard. I expected to jump in and be fine and have friends, and start this journey of finding myself. It didn't happen right away and it still isn't that way two weeks later. I'm not sure why people don't talk about it. Maybe because everyone tries to look like they have it all together all the time. It's not possible. We can't keep it together all the time, and the most meaningful connections I've had so far have been about this new new and difficult transition.

So the first week was a crazy and sometimes lonely time. I had met so many knew people, but nothing really went past exchanging names and what dorms we were living in. So it was hard finding people to go to the dinning hall with and seeing so many other people making friends. Things get better with time, and they truly have. I know more people, and have met some incredible people who I know I will look up to and have as guides throughout my next four years. I have met more girls in my sorority, and have gotten better at making plans. It gets better, but it's just a process.

Here are some tips that will help, but the first couple of weeks is an experience that you learn from. Acknowledge that it is hard, and be okay with the fact that you are struggling. Everyone is, yet it may not seem like it. I also added a picture of my roommate and I with the pieces of hedge we stole…don't turn us in.

1. Remember names. Take the time to be intentional and remember names. Try to put them with faces. It's really difficult because you are meeting so many new people, but it is worth. It makes my day when someone remembers my name, and they stick out in my mind. This will really open you up to knowing more people and start the process of getting to know someone better. Do it. It's worth it.

2. Initiate the plans. Everyone is feeling like they don't have many friends and don't know people, but be the one to text someone and ask to go to the dinning hall. It's awkward at first, but it will make you feel better being with someone. I asked one of my new sisters to go to dinner with me and now we are really good friends.

5. Say yes to everything. I got this advice a lot this past week and it seems crazy, but it works. I knew I wanted to get involved in ministry on campus so when someone asked me to an event I took a chance, and it felt good. I'm in the middle of picking the ministries
I really like but when someone asks you do to something…DO IT. It could be no big deal or it could have a huge impact on your year.

4. Trust. It gets better.

No comments:

Post a Comment